Thursday, October 3, 2019

I 20 FAQs You Need To Know

The I-20 is a multi-purpose document by a U.S. govt-approved educational institute certifying that a student has been admitted to a full-time study program & has demonstrated adequate financial resources to stay in the US. The I-20 is officially known as “Certificates of Eligibility” because it lets an individual to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.



Here are some I 20 FAQs you need to know:

Do all students require I 20s?

No. If a student is maintaining a status in the US other than F-1, and I-20 isn’t required. Dependent kids in E, H, I, J, L, M, N, 0, P, R, or S status should change status following their 31st birthday.

How’s the I-20 is used?

Outside the U.S.: After getting an I-20 from a school, an international student should make an appointment to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Students must present both the F-1 visa & the I-20 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer upon arrival at the U.S. port-of-entry.

Inside the U.S.: Once a student has arrived in the US & passes through the border examination process (either at an airport, seaport, or land border), the I-20 is employed as identification & proof of legal and academic status. Generally, students must show their I-20 at the Social Security Office and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The I-20 is also shown to employers in the hiring process for employment.

Do I require the I-20 for travel?

When traveling abroad, students should take their I-20 with them. The I-20 is needed to reapply for a visa (if required) and for re-entering the US.

Do my family members require I-20s?

If you’ll be accompanied by your spouse and kids, they each require their own I-20 to get the F-2 dependent visas & to stay in the US during your program and for travel purposes.

For more information about I 20 Application for International Students, get in touch with Concord Rusam.

No comments:

Post a Comment